Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I'm gone to carolina in my mind


Sippin' on a Cheerwine, hands full of fresh blueberries, Smokey Mountain crisp mist making my cheeks tingle just a bit- there's no place like this place. A place where it's okay to have really muddy shoes, where roads whimsically wind and weave high above the woods, and the people are even sweeter than the tea. These photos were taken this past summer in southwestern North Carolina. It's been a part of my family's summer ritual since forever.

When I was little, the mountains kind of scared me. Black bears and big bumblebees aside, they just seemed too untamed and free. But can anything be too free? I often become fixated on rules and familiar things, squirming uncomfortably at freedom. Scandalous freedom. The mountains are good for me. I am free. For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1

Adventures worthy of note near western North Carolina: the Nantahala River, Stoney Hallow Farm, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, the Virginia Creeper Trail, Linville Gorge, the mile-high bridge on Grandfather Mountain...

No comments:

Post a Comment