Monday, November 14, 2011

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful post

Call me naive or idealistic, but I admire the wholesome talent that used to grace the sets of MGM, Paramount, and the likes. I mean, Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire could really dance and Sinatra's melodies melt hearts even today. And, [gasp] women wore sizes containing some numerical substance. Something about the history and humor associated with a lot of classic films has captured my attention and imagination. I'll take an action-sci-fi-violent-government-conspiracy-thriller over a chick flick any day, but they all pale in comparison to a classic.

Sometime in the near to distant future I'll post about what I believe to be absolutely-must-see movies, but for now I'll just say you're really missing out if you haven't seen The Thin Man (1934) or any of the other six mysteries starring William Powell and Myrna Loy. The two portray Nick and Nora Charles, a couple whose hilarious chemistry amid escapades of murder and mystery earn them status as 'Best On-Screen Couple. Ever.' (at least in my book).

Myrna Loy, William Powell, and Aster in The Thin Man (1934)

No comments:

Post a Comment